You can never please all the people all the time. If every small negative remark bothers you, or you constantly keep wallowing in self-pity about why people don't understand you, then it's time you took a deep, hard look at yourself. The harder you try to please everyone, the harder you make it for yourself. Admit that you cannot please everyone. Here are some reasons why you should not try and please everyone:
- It's unrealistic: You can't possibly possess all the qualities required to please everyone. Trying to do so would only leave you more indecisive and confused about your identity and likes and dislikes.
- Different people have different demands: You cannot possibly cater to more than a handful of demands at one time. And if these demands are conflicting, then you will be caught in a no-win situation.
- When angry, talk about it: Don't let anger brew inside you. It will only bottle you up emotionally and mentally and lead to physical problems such as anxiety, headaches etc. Handle anger constructively by talking objectively about it.
- Don't neglect your own work and needs: Being obsessed with the needs of others can make you blind to your own needs.
- It’s an obsessive disease to always want to help everyone: If most of your time is spent in catering to the needs of others, you will only end up hurting yourself. It is all right to help when you genuinely can. But always going out of your way to help people is abnormal.
So if you are trying to please everyone, remember that it is an exercise in futility and will not fetch you any brownie points.