● Drink lots of water when you are dieting, which prevents you from bloating and getting too hungry and dehydrated.
● Ideally, an active adult can consume up to 2500 calories without gaining any weight, but none of us are that active! The best way to come up with the number of calories right for you is to simply multiply your weight by 10, and then add 350 to it. For example, if you weigh 120 lbs, keep your daily caloric intake to: (120 * 10) +350. In any case, never consume less than 1000 calories a day, no matter what the fad diet promises. Extremely low-calorie diets severely mess with the body's metabolic rate.
● Contrary to popular belief, snacking is actually one of the best diet tricks! Stock up on healthy snacks like fruit, low-fat cheese and crackers, and clear soup, to keep the body's sugar level at a continuum, which will prevent you from overeating at mealtime.
● Incorporate protein and cut down carbohydrates in your diet; Protein curbs excess hunger by giving the feeling of being full in addition to providing the essential nutrients needed to conserve the lean muscle mass during dieting, while carbs can trigger cravings for sugar. Add fibre to your daily diet, which will aid your digestion and keep you regular. Fibre also adds bulk to the food and makes one feel fuller without overeating.
● Try and have the last meal of the day as early as possible. Eating by 7:30pm allows for 'conscious-eating' and gives the body time to digest the food before retiring to bed.
● Exercise is good for you whether you are trying to lose weight or just trying to increase your fitness level. Just 20 minutes a day, three to four times a week can make a tremendous difference in how you look and feel. And, the diet and exercise combination is a sure and quick way to shape-up fast!